The Pays des Sorgues testifies to a rich religious history from its typical Roman Provencal churches or its Baroque jewel Notre-Dame-des-Anges.
Papal territory from 1274, the Pays des Sorgues testifies to a rich religious history thanks to its heritage. Already, before this part of Provence became the Pontifical Venaissin Comtat, beautiful Romanesque churches and chapels had been built throughout the territory. Later, the Italian influence due to the domination of the Popes until the French Revolution, and the establishment of counter-reform from the sixteenth century, will allow the construction of religious buildings of great beauty. Today, this religious heritage is rich in great architectural diversity.
Finally, the Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame-des-Anges in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is surely the most beautiful religious building in the Pays des Sorgues. Initially there was a first Romanesque church that was erected as a Collegiate Church in the 13th century by the bishop of Cavaillon. She will experience many transformations throughout its history. The most remarkable date from the 17th century, when the nave of the church collapses, we will start major reconstruction work. It is on the plans of François de Royers de la Valfreniére that the new building will be erected. Its facade will then take on the Jesuit style that characterizes it today. The rich ornamentation seen inside dates from this time and has all the characteristics of the Italian Baroque. These decorations make the reputation of this beautiful church. The bedside of the church, on the other hand, is flamboyant Gothic style and is one of the oldest parts. The bell tower dates from the sixteenth century. In addition, the historic heart of L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is home to other important religious buildings. The presence of many religious communities in modern times in the city will result in the construction of several chapels and convents. The collegiate church is from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 12 pm and from 3 pm to 5 pm.
Today, three buildings built in the 18th century illustrate this period. The Hôtel-Dieu on the one hand built between 1746 and 1757, then on the other hand, the chapels of the Blue Penitents and White Penitents.
Today it is possible to admire two small churches, both built in a Provencal Romanesque style very characteristic of our region.
The first, the church of Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, bears the name of Saint-Véran, an important figure in the history of the village in the 6th century. According to legend, he hunted from the river a Coulobre (winged giant snake, legendary monster) that was taking on villagers. Upon his death, the latter wanted to be buried in Vaucluse, his vow was respected. The presence of his tomb in the village brought many pilgrims and monks built a small church near the tomb. The plan of the church as it can be seen today dates from the 11th century. This church has the peculiarity of integrating into its architecture some elements dating from ancient times and the High Middle Ages. Indeed, there are two columns of antique marble dating from the Roman period and another column topped by a beautiful marquee dating from the Carolingian period. These elements make this small church exceptional. Open every day from 10am to 6pm.
The second, the Saint-Trophime church of Saumane-de-Vaucluse, would also have a connection with Saint-Véran since it was the latter that would be the origin of its construction in the 6th century. Its last restoration dates from 1987, and it underwent major repairs at the end of the 16th century. Its plan and architectural features make it a unique church in Romanesque art. A rather rare ornamentation in our region decorates the archivolte above the door. Indeed, there is a succession of stars on the latter. The church bell tower has three arcades, it gives the building a special character. Only one of these arcades houses a bell, the latter date from 1400 and is surely one of the oldest in France. Closed to the public.
Châteauneuf-de-Gadane houses a small Romanesque church that was built from the chapel of the village lord at the beginning of the 13th century. Three major phases of construction are distinguished, first of all the former Lord Chapel (now dedicated to St. Philomena and St. Anne) where all the lords of the village are buried. Then the construction of the first church, when the bell tower was erected. Then the last phase, which is in fact a reconstruction, caused the destruction of the church after the passage of the Baron des Adrets on 27 March 1563, who seized the city with his Protestant troops. Its plan is very simple and retains the characteristics of Romanesque art with a single nave with a full-hanger vault and a semicircular apse in cul-de-oven. Closed to the public.
Legend has it that a bull coming to drink near the Sorgue would have bowed down several times. When one sought the cause of this behavior by digging in this same place, a statue of the Virgin was discovered. Charlemagne then requested the construction of a church on the banks of the river. However, it would have been rather built at the end of the twelfth century, the building is a fine example of Provencal Romanesque architecture but is differentiated by some interesting architectural features. Indeed, inside the nave is covered with vaults in crossed warheads, these vaults announce the appearance of the Gothic style in the region. This beautiful church is distinguished by the ornamentation of its two porches. Both are richly decorated and evokes ancient art. The southern porch has the characteristics of a triumphal arch. Open every day from 10 am to 12 pm.