Metropolitan Basilica of Notre-Dame-des-Doms of Avignon

Built in the 12th century and then redesigned in the 15th and 17th centuries, the Metropolitan Basilica of Notre-Dame-des-Doms in Avignon dominates the Rhone Valley from the Rock of the Doms

After more than 2 years of renovation work, the Metropolitan Basilica opened its doors to the public and the faithful on Thursday 24 March 2016, during Holy Week.

The first mention of Notre-Dame-des-Doms dates from 1037. The current building was built in the 12th century in 3 successive phases: the bell tower and nave, then the dome with lantern, and finally the porch influenced by ancient architecture. The Metropolitan Basilica is enlarged during the last two centuries of the Middle Ages with the opening of side chapels. A new apse and a stand were set up at the end of the 17th century. Murals and paintings decorate the building. The funeral chapel of Pope John XXII contains the diocesan treasure consisting of numerous liturgical ornaments and sacred vases.

Free entry (do not disturb during religious services).

Located north of the Palais des Papes, the Cathedral of Notre-Dame-des-Doms in Avignon is built in 1150 in Provencal Romanesque style. Gothic chapels were added between the 14th and 17th centuries. The famous Italian painter Simone Martini realized in 1343, the frescoes of the porch that are currently deposited in the Palace of the Popes.

Opening periods

Picture gallery

Basilique Métropolitaine Notre-Dame des Doms
Place du Palais des Papes
Basilique Métropolitaine ND des Doms
84000 Avignon
Call us E-mail us Visit our website


Ticketing Brochure Map