The Château de Lacoste, a time, resort place of the Marquis de Sade has been hosting in its quarries and courtyard since 2001 a festival of music and summer theatre.
Overlooking the village of Lacoste, the castle was essentially used to defend it.
In the 9th century, the fief of Lacoste was owned by the Varac-Farald passing, from the 13th century, to the powerful seigneury of Agoult which then became the seigneury of Simiane.
Stayed in the Simiane until the 18th century, the castle was bequeathed in 1716 by Isabelle Simiane to his cousin Gaspard François de Sade, lord of Saumane and Mazan, also grandfather of the divine Marquis, Louis-Aldonse Donatien.
In 1766 Sade undertook the restoration and beautification of the building but only made brief visits to Lacoste.
Plooted and destroyed largely during the Revolution, the latter was sold to the Marquis de Rovère. In 1816, his widow sold the ruined castle, without doors, windows, irons and partly roofed, to Pierre Grégoire, farmer and this one to a mason in Lacoste, Cyrpien Jean. The castle was then demolished and its materials reused in some houses in the village.
From 1952 until his death, André Bouer, a college teacher, became the owner and devoted his life to its restoration.
In 2001, Pierre Cardin bought the castle and undertook a great job of consolidating and securing the site.
Since then, the castle courtyard and its adjoining quarries have hosted a music and theatre festival every year.
Located in the heart of the Luberon (20 minutes from L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue), Château de Lacoste welcomes you in a setting full of history and an evocative past.