For a century, the imposing Castle of Gordes has dominated the valley and gives the village a citadel look. Today, it is a cultural space dedicated to exhibitions.
The medieval castle of Gordes, mentioned in 1031, was redesigned and enlarged in the 14th century when the region was attacked by Raymond de Turenne's troops. But the advent of the Renaissance and the aspirations for a new art of living make it possible to transform the feudal castle into a more welcoming home. Thus, from 1525, Bertrand Rambaud de Simiane, whose powerful family reigns over most of the villages of Luberon, was at the origin of these developments.
The lords of Gordes never occupied the castle, simply collecting the earnings of the seigneury. It served as a prison, an attic for harvests and a relay for garrisons. At the end of the 19th and early twentieth centuries, it is at the heart of village life, there is a bar, the school of boys, the school canteen, the Post Office, a pharmacy and the town hall.
From 1970 to 1994, the large halls hosted the Vasarely Didactic Museum, then from 1995 to 2011 the Pol Mara Museum, a contemporary Flemish artist.
The monumental Renaissance fireplace of the Castle of Gordes is remarkable for its dimensions and the quality and beauty of the sculptures.